Friday, June 2, 2017

The Miracle of Mud.


Mud is an awesome sensory experience.

Take time to contemplate that fact.

Rich, warm soil, fragrant with the smells of decomposing vegetation, moist earth, and rough texture from rocks and sand against your fingers. Imagine adding cool, fresh water to that dry dirt.

Feel the two mix together. The warm soil mixing with the cool water works to even out the two different temperatures at the same time the different textures mix together.

Can you imagine the mud clinging to your fingers? It is wet, slippery and smooth, but as you explore these sensations it begins to dry on your skin. It transitions to dry and rough. It flakes away as you rub your hands.

Wet you can mold and form it. Dry it crumbles and falls apart. Your personality will cause you to be polarized towards one of these experiences.

Making my own mud pie.
Are you drawn to the easy to form mud or determined to control the drying soil that cracks and falls apart? Do you add more water to see what happens or do you walk away? Think of all the things you or a child discover in this simple, yet wonderful experience.

Imagine the wonder from a child's perspective.  Slow down and just be in the moment. I did. I was surprised at how calming it was, how relaxing and rewarding.

Check out my Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/FromFingerprintsToMasterpieces/


1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen,

    I liked the placement of your text and photos in this post's layout. I also enjoyed the sensory writing (scents, textures, temperatures, feelings, etc) and how you pulled in my senses as you wrote. I found my breathing calming as I read it, and the sense of being pulled into the experience of touching mud. I liked the personal "you" writing style here too.

    Fun! Thanks for your desire to have kids truly experience art.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete

More Ways to Connect

Check out my Instagram account fromfingerprintstomasterpieces

email me at fromfingerprintstomasterpieces@gmail.com

Early Childhood and the Pandemic. A Year in Reflection

Here we sit a year into the COVID-19 Pandemic. While many of us are familiar with how it has affected our lives and lives of our family, do ...